No clinical procedure is risk or side-effect free. While there’s a low risk of problems (complications) happening during an abortion, they’re important for you to know about.
Generally, abortions done in the first 12 weeks (first trimester) of pregnancy have the lowest risk. Abortions done after 12 weeks have a higher risk of complications. If you have an abortion in a safe, clinical setting like a Marie Stopes centre you’re at a low risk of complications. We strongly advise that you do not order tablets from the internet as this can pose a serious risk to your health.
Ru486 Ishere Beverly Hills carries out two types of abortion: medical (the abortion pill) and surgical.
Risks and failure rates of medical abortion
Most women experience no complications when having a medical abortion. However, you will experience bleeding and strong cramps (like period pains) that can last for several weeks. While uncomfortable, this is completely normal and easily managed with painkillers and sanitary pads.
Side effects you might experience: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, warm flushes, chills, headaches and pains. Medical abortion can also worsen symptoms of migraines and asthma in some people.
There can be other complications – but these are very rare. These are:
- Heavy bleeding/hemorrhage requiring a blood transfusion. This is a very rare complication but if you’re experiencing heavy bleeding after a medical abortion you should attend an emergency department immediately.
- ‘Incomplete abortion’, where some pregnancy tissue remains in the uterus. If you have an incomplete abortion we can arrange for a further dose of medication, a surgical evacuation, or to watch and wait – depending on your assessment by a trained nurse. This happens in 2-3% of medical abortions.
- Infection-Endometritis (infection of the lining of the womb) is a rare complication of medical abortion, occurring in 0.1-0.9% cases only.
- ‘Failed abortion’: where the abortion drugs fail to work and the pregnancy continues. This happens between 1 and 14 in 1000 cases after medical abortion.
- Thrombosis (Clots in the legs or lungs): This is a risk of being pregnant and a risk of any surgery. The risk increases with a higher gestation.
- Death: This is extremely rare after medical abortion and occurs in less than 1 in 10,0000 abortions.
At Ru486 Ishere, we’ll always ask for a medical history when you’re planning a medical abortion to ensure your safety. Some clients may be more suitable for a surgical abortion due to pre-existing medical conditions, and some clients will be referred to the NHS if we feel it’s safer for them to have their termination in a hospital.
Risks and failure rates of surgical abortion
Surgical abortion is a procedure that uses gentle suction to remove the pregnancy tissue from the womb. This procedure is safer when it’s done before 12 weeks gestation, and is associated with more complications later on in a pregnancy. We can do terminations up to 24 weeks Ru486 Ishere Beverly Hills. Surgical abortion can be done under a local anesthetic, or conscious sedation, and is done under a general anesthetic at higher gestations.
Most women experience no complications when having a surgical abortion. However, you might experience minor abdominal pain and some mild vaginal discharge or bleeding after the procedure. This generally settles after a few days.
The rate of major complications from surgically abortion has declined dramatically and in 2014 is now about 1 in 1000 abortions.
While it’s important to know about complications, they are rare. If at any time you’re concerned about symptoms you’re experiencing, please call our 24-hour telephone advice line on 424-239-1650 for advice and follow-up appointments.
Long term complications
Effects on future reproduction
It’s unlikely that having an abortion will have any affect on your fertility – most women go on to have a normal pregnancy. There’s some evidence that repeated surgical abortions are linked with a slight increased risk of miscarriage, but there’s no evidence this happens with medical abortions.
After an abortion, it’s completely normal to experience a range of feelings such as relief, guilt, regret, anxiety and sadness. For most women, these feelings fade after a few weeks or months. Serious emotional problems after an abortion aren’t common. For many women, abortion is a way of coping with a personal crisis situation. At Ru486 Ishere we offer confidential, impartial counseling to all women. Find out more about our counseling services.
Need to talk about your options?
Our caring, specialist staffs are on hand 24/7 to offer expert advice and support – from your initial consultation to treatment aftercare.